Here's a great an informative article from David Cay Johnston explaining why some "media-perpetuated tax myths" are wrong. These facts include:
- Poor Americans do pay taxes.
- The wealthiest Americans don't carry the burden.
- In fact, the wealthy are paying less taxes.
- Many of the very richest pay no current income taxes at all.
- And (surprise!) since Reagan, only the wealthy have gained significant income.
- When it comes to corporations, the story is much the same—less taxes.
- Some corporate tax breaks destroy jobs.
- Republicans like taxes too.
- Other countries do it better.
Johnston wonders when these facts will lead us to realize the grand GOP supply-side economics experiment has failed.