Countdown to Election Day: Hear from Local Candidates and Measures
The Lamorinda Democratic Club's Thursday, October 11, meeting will feature presentations from local candidates up for endorsement by the club, local measures appearing on ballots in our area, and key propositions on the statewide November 6 ballot. Join us to help kickoff the final weeks of the 2012 campaign!
The club's meeting will be held at the Lafayette Library and Learning Center, 3491 Mt. Diablo Blvd, in Lafayette. The club's social hour will begin at 7:00 p.m., with a business meeting beginning between 7:15-7:30 p.m. depending on the length of our agenda. There is a $5 charge at the door to help the club cover meeting expenses.
The club's members will vote on the board's recommendations for endorsement positions on the following statewide propositions:
- Proposition 37 (Support): Labeling of genetically engineered foods
- Proposition 39 (Support): Adjusts taxes for multi-state corporations to fund clean energy programs
- Proposition 40 (Support): Referendum on State Senate district boundaries
The club will hear presentations about the following local measures appearing on ballots in our region and have the opportunity to vote on whether the club should endorse the measure.
- Measure A: Contra Costa Community College District $11/year parcel tax
- Measure C: Martinez Unified School District parcel tax renewal
- Measure K: Town of Moraga 1-cent sales tax for road maintenance
- Measure L: City of Orinda 1/2-cent sales tax for road maintenance
- Measure Q: Contra Costa Fire District $75/year parcel tax
We will then turn to local campaigns to hear from the candidates about whom the club's board recommends endorsement. Per the club's endorsement guidelines posted on our web site since February, candidates must submit a questionnaire in order to be considered for endorsement. The Issues Committee and Club Board recommend endorsement of the following six candidates:
- Moraga Town Council: Karen Mendonca
- Mt Diablo School District: Sherry Whitmarsh
- Lafayette School District: Quinlan Tom and Donald Wolff
- Orinda City Council: Victoria Smith
- Pleasant Hill City Council: David Durant
We will wrap up with a closing presentations about the two key statewide measures for the California Democratic Party: supporting Proposition 30 (Governor Brown's temporary tax measure fro the state budget and schools) and opposing Proposition 32 (the corporate deception measure).
Each of these presentations will provide you opportunities to learn what you can do to help make sure we earn important victories locally as we work starting with President Obama to ensure a blue wave in California on November 6!